A week has passed now since the Leadership Convention has come to a close. We are very excited about the events of the convention. Allow me to highlight just some of the events:
1) Farewell Tribute to Party Leader Ron Gray – At the opening session of the convention, we dedicated an entire evening to celebrate the 13 years of leadership which he provided for the party. He and his wife, Janet, have sacrificed much for the advancement of the Christian Heritage Party through the years. This event was hosted by past deputy leader, Ian Knight, and his wife Leslie. Many members participated in giving tribute to Ron & Janet.
2) New Party Leader Elected - Three candidates for Party Leadership were presented. It was exciting to hear the presentations and participate in several Q&A sessions with the candidates. Jim Hnatiuk, former deputy leader, was elected as our new Party Leader on the first ballot, suggesting a strong mandate among the convention delegates. Please see attached media file for more information on him. The other two nominees for the leadership position made passionate presentations and presented visions that we will be able to capitalize on. Both are on the board in leadership positions. We have a strong and enthusiastic board with a clear vision for advancing the CHP over the next few years. The need to build membership has been acknowledged to be the most important challenge facing us. This will require the participation and commitment of every CHP member to the goal of providing a candidate in all 308 electoral districts across our country.
3) Youth Come Out With a Strong Voice – We had a higher percentage of youth at the convention that we have ever had at previous conventions. Not only were they present, but they participated vigorously in the debates on the resolutions. What a joy to see these youth represent the present face of the CHP and provide a promising future for the CHP. Along with attending all events planned for the convention, they met together in additional sessions. We anticipate that we will hear more from them as they strengthen in numbers and vision for youth involvement across
4) Twenty-one Resolutions Debated – Our chairman, former board president Mr. Tom Kroesbergen, chaired the plenary sessions and effectively led us through a heavy agenda of resolutions that were presented for debate. We trust that the Lord led our decisions and that each decision will bring glory to Him.
5) Special Sessions - We enjoyed a presentation by William Gairdner on Thursday night. This was attended by both members and non members. To guide us in our policy discussions, we heard from Ida Mutoigo, from CRWRC, on food sovereignty Thursday afternoon. Friday morning, Nadeem Esmail, from the Fraser Institute, provided us with information and a Q & A session on health care. The Mudde Family entertained us Friday evening.
6) Candidate Appreciation Brunch – On Saturday morning we held a celebratory brunch to honour 241 men and women who have served the party as candidates in seven federal elections since 1988. Of these candidates two were highlighted. Baird Judson served in all seven elections as a candidate in
7) New Board Presented – The new board was presented as follows:
National Executive: Party Leader: Jim Hnatiuk
Deputy Leader: Rod
Executive Director: Vicki Gunn
President: Larry Spencer
Vice-President: Leslie Bartley
Treasurer: Luke Kwantes
Secretary: Marcia Kroesbergen
PEP Director: Eric Pennings
Provincial Presidents: BC – Harold Ludwig
AB – Sya Strydhorst
SK – Harold Stephan
MB – David Reimer
ON – Dave Bylsma
QC – Thomas Sabourin
Please pray for the positive transition the CHP is going through. Give thanks for Ron Gray's leadership of 13 years. Pray for wisdom for Party Leader Jim Hnatiuk. Pray that the Lord will lead us, His representatives in the public arena, to further growth and vision as a federal political party. All glory and honour to Him.